Monday, May 4, 2009

Home is Where One Starts From...

I love this quote. It says it all, don't you think? The home is the environment that has the greatest impact on us. How we are raised follows us throughout our lives. Our home shapes our values, our habits, our feelings of security or insecurity, and our self-esteem. That is why I believe homemakers have the most important "job" there is. We should take our role as homemaker seriously, not thinking of ourselves as mere housewives. I'm not married to my house, are you? LOL!


By and large, the homemaker sets the tone of the home. If you were not raised in a happy, warm home, you have the power to have that now. Make every effort to have your dream home. You do not have to live in a fancy "McMansion" style house to have a great home. Home comes from the heart. It's attention to the details that make your family feel loved, cherished, and safe. It's a haven from the outside world. It's a soft place to fall when life gets tough.


I hope to encourage you to create a haven of peacefulness and comfort for you and your family. With creativity, thoughtfulness, love, and a willingness to work, a home can be made just about anywhere! You don't have to be wealthy or live in the "right neighborhood". Too much emphasis has been placed on material wealth over the years. That is not what makes a house a home.


When I think of homes that feel comfortable and cozy, I think of my grandparents' homes. Modest, but clean and warm and welcoming. That is probably why I have always been drawn to older houses and why I love my circa 1860 Victorian house.


I hope you'll join me as I share the journey I have been on for the past 22 years. Believe me, restoring an old house has had its shares of ups and downs while raising a family. It has been an adventure at times! Life in a small, rural town is a slower, gentler way of life and it has been a great environment for raising a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment